Friday, October 24, 2014

Literature analysis #1 The Beast in the jungle.

1. This book was in the same collection as "The Great Gatsby", so I decided to read it. I expected to be as entertained as I was when reading Gatsby.
2.After the first ten pages I wanted to know what was going to happen to the main character , because the main character was really sure something bad was going to happen to him.
3. During the summer I didn't have my phone so I read about 7 books.  i read so i could forget that im grounded and get into the book. But,  now with school an other things , I only read on weekends when the day is slow or if somebody recommends a book to me.

1. Plot summary: John marcher (protagonist) runs into May Batram after not seeing her for many years. She tells him that she didn't forget the secret he told her. Which is , Johns whole life is destined to be controlled by some great catastrophe or huge event that is waiting for him like a "beast in the jungle" May buys a house in london so that she can spend her days with John and wait to see what the event might be. John decides its best not to marry anyone so that his wife doesn't have to be a victim to the catastrophe. Years go by and John and May get old. Than, May gets sick with a deadly blood disease and john thinks that losing his friend is the bad thing thats going to happen. May tells him that the event  has already happened and John doesnt understand. A year after May dies John understands what May meant. The beast, the great misfortune was that John wasted his life waiting for something to happen. So the beast was himself.
Theme: based on what the character did to himself,  I believe the theme is dont be full of your self or self absorbed because you will miss out on other Things in life.
3. I think the autuors tone reflective and contemplative. "You know you told me something I've never forgotten and that again
and again has made me think of you since; it was that tremendously
hot day when we went to Sorrento, across the bay, for the breeze."
"It isn't a question of what I 'want'--God knows I don't want
anything. It's only a question of the apprehension that haunts me-
-that I live with day by day."
"He had
kept up, he felt, and very decently on the whole, his consciousness
of the importance of not being selfish, and it was true that he had
never sinned in that direction without promptly enough trying to
press the scales the other way. He often repaired his fault, the
season permitting, by inviting his friend to accompany him to the
opera; and it not infrequently thus happened that, to show he
didn't wish her to have but one sort of food for her mind, he was
the cause of her appearing there with him a dozen nights in the
month"

No comments:

Post a Comment